During the summer months I still cook, but it takes on a sort of different form. The long, relaxing comfort food cooking is gone, replaced by a quick throw together of whatever I can find in the fridge. I want less prep, shorter cooking time and definitely the minimum amount of clean up.
Enter in my Mexican Rice Skillet. One pan, minimal prep and a super easy clean up. Did I mention that it is delicious too? It is an extremely forgiving recipe as well. You can add and omit as you see fit, but I think it is pretty delicious just the way it is.
I usually use my largest pan to make this and make a big batch that can sit in the fridge for leftovers. This recipe reflects it. I can probably get about ten servings + out of this, so feel free to halve it if you don’t want a lot of leftovers. It’s a great family meal, that even picky eaters might like. Who could resist a delicious baked cheesy top? Not me!
If e-learning is looming ahead for you with your kids, and thoughts of how you are going to manage that while working and completing all of the other tasks you have on the daily, this recipe might be for you. Quick, easy and exactly what you might need after a long, hard day.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 lbs of ground turkey *
- 1 can diced chile peppers, drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced **
- 2 pkg of taco mix ***
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice****
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, cilantro for serving, optional
- *I use ground turkey breast...feel free to use regular or ground beef (make sure to add in a step for draining grease). You can also make this meatless and use canned black beans. Omit the step to cook the meat and add the beans in when you add the rice.
- **I like the look and subtle taste differences of many colored peppers. Feel free to use all the same
- ***I make my life easy and use packaged taco mix. Feel free to use your own spice blend and salt
- ****Once again, I make my life easy and use the rice pouches that you can microwave. You can do this or cook your own rice before you add it in.
- Add olive oil to pan and turn up to high heat
- Add diced onion, turn heat down to medium. Cook onion 1-2 minutes until translucent
- Add ground turkey and brown until fully cooked about 4-5 minutes, drain any excess liquid
- Add diced peppers and chile peppers and cook for 2 minutes tossing together
- Sprinkle in taco mix, toss to coat
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Simmer on medium low heat until slighly bubbling and completely heated through.
- Add rice and gently fold together.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Set broiler to 400 degrees
- Broil top of casserole for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly and golden
- Remove carefully from oven and serve hot with sour cream, salsa, jalapenos and cilantro if desired