With busy commitments after school, my family seems like we are always on the go. It is not as easy as it was when they were little to sit down and have dinner together, although we always try! Even if we eat in shifts, have conversation when we can, we try to enjoy a hot, home cooked meal together. I have been trying to come up with easy crockpot, one pot, or oven meals that are simple, delicious and a perfect way to enjoy your family dinner, without slaving in the kitchen all evening.
This particular one was so easy. Basically using one pan, except the pot to cook your rigatoni in, and came together so fast! It was delicious and the kids absolutely loved it! It seemed like comfort food, but without the hours in the kitchen. this sauce can be made ahead too, then reheated and tossed with freshly cooked pasta!
I hope some of these easy meals help you out if you are running around with your family trying to squeeze dinner in, or even if you just want a quick meal to enjoy some down time!
- 12 ounces Rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage Remove from casings if in casings, use either sweet or spicy
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh Parsley and Freshly grated parmesan for sprinkling, if desired
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and cook onion until it starts to soften. Add sausage, and break it into pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When sausage is no longer pink, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place drained pasta in a large bowl.
- Add cream and simmer another 5 minutes, Turn heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley or parmesan cheese if desired