So…you hate pumpkin.
Well, I am here to help you out. I am a self professed pumpkin lover…well except for the classic pumpkin pie…don’t ask, but I never liked it. I love all the rest though…pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cake, you name it!
But, there are some of you, some of you that I just don’t understand…who actually do not like pumpkin. I can’t even begin to understand you, but I still love you. So, I present to you…Chocolate Pumpkin Cake–a delicious cake using pumpkin with actually NO pumpkin flavor! Just a simple, moist, deliciously chocolatey cake, that uses pumpkin only for its benefits. Yep. We are being users right now, but the best kind of users because this cake is delicious!
Pumpkin gives baked goods a wonderfully moist texture, but in this particular cake, you will not taste any pumpkin flavor. Now, you too, can buy those cans of pumpkin and bake a cake that YOU will eat! Believe me when I say, this cake is easy, delicious, and one of a kind!
- 1 cup coconut oil, NOT melted
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Whipped Cream, for serving
- Toffee Bits or mini chocolate chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat together coconut oil, brown sugar, eggs and pumpkin puree.
- In a small, separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Add the dry mixture slowly to the wet, using the beaters on low. Do not over mix
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract, continue beating on low
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Spoon into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Top with whipped cream and toffee bits or chocolate chips , if desired
- Refrigerate any leftovers