Mac and cheese is a staple in this house. We love it! Not the boxed version so much, although we definitely use that, but the homemade, creamy version that dreams are made of!
This version that I came up with on a night of busy commitments for the kids is an easy recipe, perfect for a quick, on the go meal, but still allowing for that decadent, comfort food taste. All in no time flat!
While this is easy and perfect for busy nights, you can also wow a crowd at a holiday or celebratory gathering as well. It is really THAT good!
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked
- 5 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat butter on medium low heat
- Sprinkle in flour, and whisk for one minute
- Add in milk and half and half, whisking quickly to dissolve the flour
- Heat until slightly bubbling at the sides, but NOT boiling. Watch carefully
- Add in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until melted
- Add in salt and pepper
- Add in cooked pasta and stir to coat
- Serve immediately