Ok, the cheesecake I posted the other day was a moment of weakness. I am back to the healthy eating of 2016 plan! So…I bet you are wondering why I am posting a cookie recipe if I am claiming to be eating healthy?
Well, this particular cookie is a healthy cookie. I am not just calling it that. It is really a healthy cookie. Boasting whole wheat flour, rolled oats and no refined sugars, this cookie is as good as it gets health wise, but will surprise you at how good it tastes too! It is a softer cookie, and full of flavor. The banana really comes through as a subtle undertone, with sweetness from the maple syrup complementing the banana flavor. The oats make it a hearty cookie and the bursts of chocolate chips make it feel like you are eating a decadent dessert, without the guilt. You have probably realized that I am a sucker for oatmeal based cookies (with tons of chocolate chips) since I am posting them all the time, even with directions to eat them for breakfast! This new banana one has become one of my favorites because of the soft and chewy texture and the lightly sweet flavor.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- ½ cup + 1 tblsp maple syrup
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips (or your favorite variety)
- In a small bowl, mash banana.
- Add maple syrup and mash it all together until combined.
- In another bowl, Mix butter with a handheld mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add banana mixture and mix until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a third bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to butter mixture slowly mixing until combined, carefully not over mixing.
- Fold in oats and chocolate chips until well integrated.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, drop cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on sheet for 1 minute.
- Move to a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Eat cookies warm-because you probably will not be able to wait!
These cookies are so healthy, you can even eat them for breakfast! Enjoy!