So…I am in summer ending denial.
What? You have never heard of it? Okay, let me set the scene. Your kids go back to school SUPER early. No, like really early. Like the kind of early that you are second guessing if you wrote the correct date on your calendar because there is NO way you could possibly start school this early.
But, it is true. And…if school is starting, that obviously means summer is over. Right? Right.
But, I refuse to let it happen. I am in summer ending denial. I am feeding my children popsicles all the time. I am setting up the sprinkler and forcing them in, even though the temps have dipped below seventy in the last few days. We are grilling out more than we have in the whole summer. And let me assure you, we are eating outside since that is what you do IN THE SUMMER.
And then, this salsa. This salsa really makes it feel like summer. Fresh mangoes, colorful splashes of bright color all coming together to make the most delicious salsa you could possibly imagine.
This salsa recipe was given to me by a friend. She even made it for us and it was ah-mazing! She gave me the recipe. I lost it. She gave it to me again. Um.
So… I just improvised with what I remember about it (yeah, I lost the recipe again), and although I don’t think it was the exact same as the one she gave me, this one was really delicious too!
Intrigued? Check out the recipe below!
- 4 mangoes, pitted and diced small (I bought pre-sliced mango at the grocery store, blame it on summer laziness)
- 2 ripe, but firm avocados, diced small
- ½ cup red onion, diced small
- 2 tblsp jalapeño, seeds removed, diced very small
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 4 limes, juiced
- sea salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped and loosely packed
- Add mango and avocado to a serving dish. Add red onion and jalapeño Drizzle olive oil and lime juice over the top and stir very, very gently as to not mash the avocado. You want to make sure the avocado stays intact, but is coated with the lime juice so it is preserved. Sprinkle with sea salt and cilantro. Serve with chips. Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator. Stir gently before re-serving. Enjoy!