I just love the red and green color of these cookies! It is just so festive for a holiday cookie. The sweetness of the maraschino cherries with the salty crunch of the pistachio makes this cookie delicious even before it is rolled in coconut-which you can imagine-makes it even better!
The best thing about these cookies? They are seriously easy to make. The dough comes together super quick and once you get past that annoying “chill for three hours or overnight” part, you just slice them up and bake them. Easier than most recipes! Sometimes these are called Fruitcake cookies…but I shy away from that name because I’m not sure if anyone would want to try them then!
Enjoy these and add something a little creative to your holiday cookie plate!
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup chopped roasted pistachios
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, for rolling
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with handheld mixer on medium until creamy
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and almond extract
- Scrape down sides and continue to mix until light and fluffy
- Turn the mixer to low, and beat in flour slowly.
- Turn off mixer and fold in cherries and pistachios.
- Stir just until combined, over stirring caused the dough to get really pink
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work area and divide in half
- Shape each into a roughly 8 inch log about 2-3 inches in diameter
- Roll in shredded coconut and wrap in plastic wrap
- Place in refrigerator and chill for three hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice each log into 12 equal in size cookies and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes
- Leave on baking sheet for about three minutes and then place on cooling racks to cool completely