The sixth annual Can It Forward Day is coming up soon, and Ball Brand wants you to be with them every step of the way! They will be on their new digital location, Facebook Live, connecting with all of YOU! Can It Forward day is now in its sixth year, and it is a day to celebrate, or pay it forward, the joys and benefits of canning and preserving food at the peak of freshness! The special day will include LIVE demonstrations from popular canning bloggers, as well as the Ball Brand’s expert chefs. This will all take place on the Ball Brand Canning Facebook Page from 10-3:30 pm Eastern Time on July 22nd. Join them there for a unique and fun canning experience, from the comfort of your own home.
Ball Brand is focusing on charity this year and five, small, not for profit charities have been selected to be benefit from the International Can It Forward Day. For every like, share or comment on the videos during the LIVE hours, $1 will be donated to one of the five charities below:
Southside Middle School Panther Pantry (Muncie, Indiana) – Selected by Jarden Home Brands
What an awesome opportunity! Watch live food demos, learn more about canning, join in a Facebook Live Community AND help out charities all at the same time. In an effort to sweeten the deal even more, every hour, viewers will even have the chance to win a giveaway prize. I can’t really think of a reason NOT to tune in!
Take the pledge now to commit to tuning in by visiting the pledge page and scrolling to the bottom to sign up. By doing so, you will receive a coupon to the online store, freshpreserving.com!
If you are new to canning, or an expert already, you can also ask Jarden Home Brands canning experts questions via Twitter using the hashtag #canitforward on July 22nd, from 10-5pm ET. Feel free to share your own #canitforward creations on their Pinterest and Instagram pages as well!
Have you ever tried canning your own food? I absolutely love my mason jars, but actually canning food is something very new to me. I use my jars for everything….fresh cut flowers, candles, food storage, salad dressings, drinking out of…you name it!
The idea of canning is so intriguing, so when I received “The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving”, I couldn’t stop paging through it. It was hard to put down and concentrate on anything else. The cookbook is filled with delicious recipes and mouthwatering pictures to accompany them. At 368 pages, you are getting 200 brand new recipes, and with that, a little bit of everything. Salsas, jams, baked goods, hearty meals, sauces, spreads, condiments are all waiting for you to try. This comprehensive guide also includes step by step instructions, easy to follow charts and very clear directions to help you in canning, whether it is is your first time, or you are a pro.
Have I peaked your interest on the cookbook? Well if so, today is your lucky day because one of you will be paging through it in no time! If you enter my giveaway below, you have the chance to win this cookbook, AND a $5 off coupon as well! Enter below now, and you MIGHT BE our LUCKY winner!
The book was filled with such an array of tantalizing recipes, I had a hard time choosing which one to try. I mean, if you had to pick between a creamy Caramel Sauce or tart lemon curd, how would you choose between those two? It is not an easy decision, let me tell you!
I decided on the Salsa Verde. The other two choices were presenting a much too difficult decision for me to make! Turns out, I made the best choice, because it was delicious. The recipe was pretty easy to make and made three jars of this delicious salsa. It is great with chips for a quick snack or appetizer, but would be even better in some of my favorite recipes such as my favorite shrimp enchiladas, or my honey lime enchiladas. The fire roasted flavor of the tomatillos, along with a little heat from the jalapeño and citrusy kick from the lime, created the perfect mixture of spicy and flavorful. The recipe follows below, but this is only one of several delicious recipes that you will find in this cookbook. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below for your chance to win!
- 4 lbs. tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 medium sized white onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 jalapeno or serrano peppers (I used jalapeños)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup lime juice (about 6 limes)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange tomatillos, stem side down, on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place onions, jalapeño peppers, and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until garlic is softened. Remove garlic from baking sheet. Bake onion mixture 15 more minutes or until onion is tender and tomatillos and peppers are slightly charred. Remove from oven and cool slightly. when peppers are cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds. Process roasted vegetables and garlic, in batches, in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a 4-qt. stainless steel or enameled saucepan. Stir in lime juice, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Ladle hot salsa into a hot jar, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adults to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled. Process jars about 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, and let jars stand for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Interested in entering our giveaway? Learn more here!
This post is courtesy of Jarden Home Brands