Did my post title get your attention?
Well, it should. I mean, it’s the holidays right? Can we fit in one more, deliciously decadent treat? I think we can!
This popcorn has been on my to do list for awhile. The problem is, it’s just not something you whip up in the middle of September. You need a specific time of year for this. A time of year when calories don’t count at all, and cookies for breakfast are totally acceptable. It is a time when heavy cream is a staple in the fridge, and you can never have enough butter.
The holidays. The time of year where decadence is the new fad diet.
Enter in crunchy salted popcorn, tossed with the most buttery caramel you have ever tasted, and then in one last attempt to win the most decadent recipe ever award, drizzled with rich dark chocolate.
Happy Holidays everyone. Enjoy.
- ¾ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks of salted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- Sprinkle in popcorn kernels.
- Cover tightly.
- Pop corn until popping slows down to almost a complete stop.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt (or desired amount).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, begin to melt butter.
- Add in brown sugar and stir.
- Drizzle in corn syrup and whisk mixture until smooth.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Stop whisking and lower heat.
- Simmer for three minutes.
- Add in baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will bubble so be careful. Whisk gently.
- Pour over popcorn in bowl. Stir carefully as to not break the popcorn in pieces.
- Spread on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for one hour, stopping every 20 minutes to gently toss popcorn.
- Let cool.
- In a glass measuring cup, pour chocolate chips.
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, stopping to stir each time.
- Chocolate should be smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle over cooled popcorn.
- Let cool completely, until chocolate is hardened on top.
- Toss and break apart
- Serve for a snack, or bag it for a gift!